Life Tools: Passion Tools or "Passion
1. Get into the CREATIVE MODE! Brainstorm, paint, draw, arrange
flowers, re-decorate your home, write a story, or create something
2. Have DREAMS (not fantasies) Dreams are our biggest or wildest
possibilities! Fantasies are beyond the realm of possibility.
3. Create a PASSION MAP - Like a roadmap for life
one is fun, filled with color, quotes, pictures of activities,
dreams and desires that when observed creates an experience of
passion in the moment! One photo or a collage can work equally
well if it truly represents your dreams. Be sure it's placed somewhere
you will see it daily.
4. Convert your dreams into a VISION, and then
vision down into GOALS; breaking them down into small tasks. Reward
yourself as you make progress! Make sure that you understand that
your vision is likely to always be in a state of transformation
and be willing to modify it. Be flexible!
5. Get your NEEDS met so passion can come authentically as an
expression of your values rather than an expression of your unmet
needs. The first step here is to identify your needs! Working
with a Personal Life Coach can help you access your internal wisdom
more quickly. Identifying needs, core values, and discovering
purpose can help turn dreams into reality.
6. Know your core VALUES. (i.e. Purposeful action, Beauty, Nature,
Harmony, Experiencing life)
7. DANCE or SING. Free your spirit to express itself through
movement or musical voice.
8. PLAY! Let your child out - free of guilt! It IS an authentic
aspect of WHO you are!
9. Be GRATEFUL! In a state of gratitude, it's hard to be angry,
sad or fearful!
10. TAKE 20 minutes! Take a time-out. Emotional hijackings, as
Daniel Goleman calls them in the book Emotional Intelligence,
are when a situation stimulates our primitive brain to produce
a flood of chemicals, which immediately changes our body chemistry
and state of being. It is noted that even when one intentionally
works on soothing the anxiety of the strong emotion, at least
20 minutes is needed for the body chemistry to come back to normal
and when a person is stuck in the emotion, well - who knows how
long the effect can last.
11. Get out of your own way! Ask yourself - How am I in my own
Simply let go
especially of the unhealthy mind
12. Ask PURE QUESTIONS of self and others. These are questions
to which you truly don't know the answer. This is the fertile
territory of wonder and curiosity!
13. A 5-STEP path to rejuvenating passion
- Simply STOP - Get off the treadmill of reaction
and unconscious action. Notice what IS present for you
Inside and out! Concrete facts, thoughts, feelings, body sensations,
etc. "When we look for what's missing
we miss what's
- Acceptance of what was what IS, and what may
be yet to come. You may have heard of the Serenity Prayer? God
grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the
- Shift to a place of Gratitude to get grounded
- What do I see, feel, or know right now that I am grateful
for or authentically passionate about? NOTICE IT
GIVE IT CENTER STAGE!
- ASK for direction - What do I want here and now
to feel passion again?
- Take integral ACTION
14. Do something DIFFERENT
something you've never done
before! Take a glider flight, go contra dancing, take African
hand-drumming lessons, dress up in something outrageous, go to
an amusement park and ride the biggest roller coaster
15. SCHEDULE IT! Once you schedule something you want to do,
it denotes commitment, and that alone creates a huge shift. If
you want to take a big trip to some special place, get the information
and put your deposit down. Schedule it!
Even if it's 2
years away! Or, if it's 5 years away, put a big photo of where
you are going on your refrigerator and write "2010"
on the photo. Commit!
16. Find a COMMUNITY of others who share your values, your interests,
and your passions. Get together with them on a regular basis.
17. Put together a MASTER-MIND GROUP with the intention of stoking
your passion for life. Carefully select people who are truly committed
to this purpose.
18. Have a PASSION PARTNER. This could be a friend, co-worker,
or a professional life coach who understands what you need to
keep your passion alive. Let them know how they can help you -
whether it be by encouragement, holding you accountable, continuing
to ask you perceptive changing questions about your passion, or
to simply be there to cheer you on.
Copyright © 1999, 2002, 2003 Beth Meininger, PCC, email@example.com
All Rights Reserved.